Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hiking Adventure

When veteran parents give out the well-meaning advice to first-timers like Russell and me, saying things like, "Take time to enjoy it! It goes by fast.  Before you know it she'll be 16!" I always roll my eyes.  I think to myself, "Yes, do they really think we aren't' enjoying it?"  Or, "It sure doesn't seem like it's going by fast."

The truth is, it really does go by fast!  Claire is now 7 months 4 weeks this week and I'm so excited with how active alert and interested she has become!  Russell and I have been feeling somewhat stir crazy and have been eager to get outside to get some fresh air and exercise.

We recently bought a Kelty Expedition backpack child carrier so we can get out and take hikes and walks with Claire.  

This thing is a Cadillac!  It has a water bladder for the parent, a zip off back-pack, a large storage pouch with changing mat, and a sun/rain hood.



Claire models the new carrier.


Sun/rain hood up.





Side view
Eager to test out the new pack, this weekend we got all packed up and headed out on a 3 mile hike in the Deschutes National Forest.  The weather was fantastic: not too hot, not too cold.  There was no rain in sight and the high clouds filtered the sun so it was pleasant even without sunglasses.  

Family hike
Claire was an absolute cherub.  She loved the fresh air, the birds singing, the sounds of the wind in the trees, and riding along on my back.  Every time I looked at her I saw a huge happy smile!

All smiles
 She did fall asleep for a bit of the hike, but mostly she was awake and wide eyed as though she was taking it all in.  I think we definitely have a nature lover on our hands!


Hiking with Mom!

 We had such a fun time that we are going to make it a weekly thing.  I hope to do many of the local trails and foster a love for nature, hiking, and the outdoors in Claire.  It was just fantastic.


This was a common face during the hike.  She loved it!


I hope everyone is doing well!

Love,
Jane

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first real hiking outing with Claire! Sounds like a perfect success and I hope the start of many more. And the Carrier is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experiencing the textures of nature items in her hands will be fun to explore...as long as she doesn't eat things!

    ReplyDelete